Several common tax “things” to be aware of include:
- The FICA wage base for 2019 and 2018 is $132,900 and $128,400, respectively
- The standard deduction amounts for 2019 and 2018 are as follows:
- Married filing joint – $24,400 and $24,000
- Head of household – $18,350 and $18,000
- Single – $12,200 and $12,000
- An additional $1,300 standard deduction is available for taxpayers who are blind or age 65 or older. In 2019 single taxpayers receive a $1,600 additional standard deduction.
- The business mileage rate for 2019 and 2018 is 58 cents and 54.5 cents a mile, respectively.
- Per diem reimbursement for travel is found on the GSA.gov website and is now based on zip codes. Post September 30, 2018, the per diem rates for Fargo is $94 a day for lodging and $55 for meals and incidentals. For Minneapolis it is between $151 and $135 a day for lodging depending on time of year and $76 a day for meals.